Our Pledges to the people of Liverpool
The nominations are now open for Liverpool City Council as they are for the General Election. Every vote cast for a Liberal Democrat Candidate and every Liberal Democrat Councillor elected is a fight for the following things:
Getting better Use of Council Assets:
1. We will oppose the sale of any public open space not legally committed and will look at imaginative ways to establish partnerships to ensure the development of the large amounts of brown field land which is already available within the city.
2. We will seek professional help in looking at potential land deals so that unlike the Cunard Building we will not be purchasing inappropriate white elephants
Getting Value for Money
3. We will conduct a ‘Total Place Review’ of all public spending in the City to find ways by which we can work in partnership with other public bodies to use public money more effectively.
4. We will reduce the top levels of council staff by deleting the post of Chief Executive and creating a new city manager incorporating the position of Director of Regeneration. We will reintroduce the position of Town Clerk with a senior officer responsible for the legal and administrative side of the Council’s work.
5. We will look at all services provided by the council to ascertain whether they could be better run by none-profit making social enterprises led and run by local people.
6. We will specifically look at the Sure Start and Libraries Services to look at innovative mechanisms and funding to ensure they can adapt to new circumstances and maintain a permanent presence in the City.
Getting the Council to work for the People
7. We will ask Liberty to conduct a review of the way that the council uses the suggestion of ‘commercial confidentiality’ and its responses to Freedom of Information requests to make the council more transparent to the taxpayers of Liverpool who pay for it.
8. We will ask the Centre for Public Scrutiny to review the lack of scrutiny within the Council and the endless use of PowerPoint presentations to keep councillors ‘unusefully’ occupied.
9. We will totally review the Council’s consultation processes to ensure that consultation takes place before a decision is made and not after it!
10. We will campaign for the abolition of the unwanted elected mayoralty and the unwanted Elected Police Commissioner
Getting a long-term Future for our City
11. We will speed up the development of the Liverpool Development Framework and install within it more protection so that we will build less flats and student apartments and more houses for local people.
12. We will take Liverpool Vision out of council offices and make it once again an independent business led body
13. We will work with the Government and any interested local bodies to promote the development of a democratically led Liverpool City Region Authority committed to taking power and money from London
14. We will fight to ensure that the HS2 and Northern Powerhouse projects continue to develop and are fully extended to Liverpool